Friday, September 25, 2015

Back to New Horizons Band

Yes, I've handed in the cheque for my tuition!  Its not just because of the fun, and certainly not because of the socializing ha ha -- I like to go as a way to round myself out as musician/songwriter and music store employee.  I will not even pretend that I am going to practice trombone 20 minutes a day.  I would try for 15 if I could do it at work, but I can't -- I guess I'm just not that passionate about my horn playing?  Or maybe its just that I am having some trombone trouble...

I enjoy attending as an adult recreational player, with little time to practice.  I enjoy the learning that comes in our now Lime Green group, working thru the Essential Elements book with others to hear, copy and check in with, all under the guidance of a gifted teacher.  This ‘guilt free' hour or so lesson time often becomes the only practice session I am able to manage in the course of each chaotic week.

Last session, the second out of 14, my role in the red band was to remember we need 5 chairs in "bass and percussion" section, and how they should be arranged.  Then I spent that whole hour and a half just listening and counting.  Every time we stopped, I pointed to a note in a bar and asked my neighbour, "are we here?" and, every time, we were.  I did try to participate every time there was a Bb, but they came up so fast, and I was just trying to keep my instrument together, even though it wasn't gifting me the sound(s) I expected.  Is it me, or does my own unique individual silver plated brass buddy also need work done?

I vow to spend about 5 minutes a day staring at my book or the red band music, to determine some notes and imagine the position.  Yes, I am going to write position numbers over the notes I should know by now, while not worrying about the others.

I'm also thinking of trying other trombones.  What do you think of that?

No comments: