Friday, December 09, 2011

Minutes, December 6, 2011





This was the first night the venue had it set up just for us, with no complications around our start time.  I counted about 35 folks in the bar at once, at the busiest time.  We raised a tiny bit of money for the L&M charity effort for KIDSLink.

"I played a cover song while we worked out sound check tests and such.  Weightless Again by the Handsome Family. I meant to introduce this first song by saying that I LIKE to include cover songs at a songwriters open stage, and maybe even talk about some of the song structure or the chord change I don't have down yet, ha, etc.  If it wasn't a mini stage, I would have wanted to invite other musicians to join in...

And, I meant also to mention that if I ever ask someone to work on the tune with me they eventually YELL at me for it because the song is so sad.  So, I wanted to do it all the way through once where no one will interrupt or stop me, ha.

Even without listening back to the cfru-device recorded audio, I know I wasn't effective in asking for feedback on these things.  I also lost the nerve to ask if the song is too politically incorrect to be performed in public or what.

The we did Love Call, uke style and everyone sang along and pretended they liked it!  Yay, team!!

And then I borrowed an electric guitar, because its fun to, and Peter Light's kindness that evening allowed it, and I did The Way The World Turns, with imaginary solos from other musicians ha.




"Hey Kim,  Thanks so much for all the hard work 
and thought you put into organizing 
and footing this 4 week event. 
I think many folks gained experience 
and insight from this."






























"I absolutely second the THANKS-TO-KIM! 
And Jerry, you as well. Thanks for taking the time to make us sound good."
"I hope it continues in the new year!"
cover and original songs welcomed
by host of song gathering 2&4th Thursdays 7:30
at the Army Navy Club, a nice acoustic jam!
Did anyone take away info CFRU?


I am sorry I never got around to making/printing workshop evaluation forms.  Maybe I'll make it a New Year's Resolution!  But I do know that at least 3 people plan to join the SAC as a result of these sessions.

*
Future Plans?

I really dig the vibe at the Bull Ring on campus


[ ] establish all ages, accessible, Socan lisenced venue for Monthly Meetings
Outreach 2012
[ ] invite L&M teachers, showcase of L&M rentals?
[ ] email list
[ ] media email re: event listings, including Sean's meetup post
[ ] improve/delegate recording for cfru broadcast potential? etc.

[ ] maintain association with SAC?
"Thanks for your call. I'm so sorry I can't talk. This week is a little insane with meetings and month's end stuff (as you can see, my job title has changed)." The Talent Coordinator/Accountant has made a note to call me soon.

The Songwriters Association of Canada exists to nurture, develop and protect the creative, business, and legal environments of songwriters in Canada and around the world.

We do this to promote universal recognition of the inspirational, societal and economic values of music & song.

1 comment:

Sylph said...

Hey, I never yelled at you that the song was too sad. I love that song!