Thursday, August 06, 2015

More Accidental Lessons

Technically, I don't own the trombone shown here, although I really do consider it a gift-for-life.

Lately, instead of trombone exercises, I am concentrating instead, on participating in a NHB jazz ensemble, as a so-called rhythm guitarist.   There seem to be 3 tenor saxes and 3 altos working on complex arrangements, from sheet music I can't read.  But, I am grateful for the listening experience... It’s true that the idea of me putting guitar chords in behind the rest of the music, as a member of the rhythm section, of a JAZZ ensemble, is ridiculous! 

But, its New Horizons Band! And, its true. I liked hearing the b-flat scale warm up. repeated in quarter notes and then even eighth notes, ha. And I have practiced the scale pattern on guitar daily since then.  I feel so lucky to sit in the rhythm section -- next to retired music teachers on bass and keys, in an encouraging, constructive environment -- while absorbing their discussions with each other... let's "Listen to the Drummer!" ha

No comments: