Monday, July 27, 2015

Summer Holidays Continued

Did you have a happy Hillside Festival?  I sure did.

With two vacation days from work, I was able to present two different Ukulele workshops in the Performing Arts tent.  I didn't manage to obtain (m)any loaner ukes, so participants had basically brought their own and we shared them among us.

The first day several guitar players took to the new instrument quickly, and we did many songs, including the run/solo for These Boots Are Made for Walking.  The next day, one participant already knew 4 chords, which we practiced and learned together.  And then I lead about 4 songs that used those chords...    What fun!  I shared my own tune Lovecall,  just to show how easy it can be to create your own song.  Nice to see some of the participants in the music store a few days later trading in violins for ukulele joy, ha.

As for the festival overall, I thought it was really wonderful this year.  At first I was disappointed that I only took one picture...

but then I read in the program "Better yet, we hope you get so caught up in the moment that you forget to record it.  Smile.  Thanks for coming."

One of my highlights was that the workshops on the stages were actual workshops -- not just songs in the round per many recent workshops -- the musicians on stage actually jammed together.  The Prince Songs jam was a wonderful way to start a day!!  It was really enjoyable to catch so many former neighbours, friends from the music shop and around town all making such great music.

I think this year I was more interested in taking in music than making it myself, and as a result, I didn't play toooooo much at the campfires with my buddies, and I wish for more time to do so.

I had an absolutely great time dancing to Jeremy Fisher, and for the first time in years, I spent money to buy an album right after a show.  A good move if I do say so myself.

No comments: