Monday, August 11, 2014

Mariposa 2014

here's the view from the tent











Overall it felt like quite a feminist line up to me, with Hydra, Rosanne Cash et al as closers, and the chance to dance a bit to Ani Defranco, and also Dar Williams (yes, I did cry once), as well as the chance to sing along with Ariana Gillis and Craig Cardiff, twice each, ha.
 
One of the highlights of the festival this year for me, was seeing my very first guitar teacher and a bass/cello teacher I have been woo-ing for the shop, each supporting different acts, at a workshop. Steve was actually staying on from the previous guitar playing workshop, at the request of the next acts up on stage!
 
Another of the highlights was being asked  "what song would you play Kim, if you were to play a song?" at a late nite campfire, with random strangers, as i was passing by, with a uke, and wanted to SIT down ha…  Some of the other tunes moments before had been kind of intimate, "Probably a quiet one" I was suriprised that I actually answered, and sort of experimented with the fingering of a song I know, and then suddenly she was singing backing vocal sounds, as was my other seat neighbour, with all the words and the melody I was essentially whispering, although trying to project...  i left room for an instrumental and the host on the guitar took it when i nodded at him. What a treat!

I also loved serenading Annie while she swam the next morning.  I hadn't had a chance to do my personal private uke sing on her loaner instrument yet, but she wanted to meet up for the pre-breakfast coffee and swim.  She wants the paperwork for the Miss Ohio ditty, reminded me about the Have An Awesome Day song and then I also noodled around with Dreams, Werewolves of London, the Peg and Cat problem song, before turning to her paperwork... it was a fun little singalong.

And, what about that instrument petting zoo!?  I stopped in there every time I passed by...  One time, I was singing and playing the L&N on an out of tune Luna teeny tiny acoustic, with a pic a kid had brought over specially to me, just before i had a great conversation with an older girl.  She was wearing a purple Girls Rock Camp Toronto t-shirt, and I told her I liked it, and asked if she went there.  She had. And, of course she'd met Magali! She'd also found a bandmate who'd written a song there, that she taught me:  verses Am Em G Am, chorus Am Em G C Am;  That was after she tuned a resonator guitar by ear and I explained to her what all the metal stuff was, and then she tuned my zoo-guitar too! Did she say she was 11?  By the way, shortly after our jam, the zoo owner stopped over to ask her if she needed a guitar tuned lol, If he only knew. (I saw him perform later as a tweener, mostly on autoharp).
 
 

No comments: